Brownsville, Texas is among the best places for business and careers in the U.S. and its unique location in the southern tip of Texas makes it a multimodal city that hosts trade by air, sea, road, rail and space. Brownsville, Texas is turning into best city in South Texas with enhanced quality of life assets such as:
• 70-plus river miles of resacas
• 34 public parks (over 1,000 acres of parkland)
• 32 miles of hike/bike trails
• The Brownsville Sports Park (comprised of 10 full sized lighted multi-sports fields)
• Nationally recognized 31 acre zoo; Gladys Porter Zoo
• Nationally recognized birding destination; World Birding Center
• Commute-friendly retail and dining clusters
• Texas’ #1 beach destination only 27 miles away; South Padre Island
• Ranked safest city in the state of Texas.
POPULATION OF 183,677
Brownsville, Texas is the largest city in the Rio Grande Valley.
BROWNSVILLE INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
The Brownsville Independent School District (BISD) is the largest employer in the Rio Grande Valley, with approximately 7,670 employees working for 55 public schools servicing almost 50,000 students.
SOUTH TEXAS INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
The South Texas Independent School District (STISD) serves junior high and high school students through six magnet schools. Over 95 percent of STISD graduates continue their education at major universities or technical colleges and for the third year in a row, STISD was ranked among the best in the state and nation in the Niche Best K-12 Schools lists.
Brownsville also has 13 private schools that serve students from elementary, middle, and high school.
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS RIO GRANDE VALLEY
Brownsville is home to the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) which empowers successful futures, enhances daily life and provides students with a School of Medicine which will transform Texas.
TEXAS SOUTHMOST COLLEGE
Established in 1926, the Texas Southmost College (TSC) offers career and technical education leading to certificates and associates degrees, college preparatory studies to prepare students for college-level work, workforce training and continuing education. TSC has also been selected as a Bright Spot by the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics.